Wednesday 5 October 2016

My First Oral Presentation as A PhD student at a Conference

Assalamualaikum...

Just realised that the blog has not been updated for 5 months! wohoaa...today, I wanted to write something that I personally think that I have achieved my first goal since I started my PhD last year...

my supervisor is a very supportive supervisor and she always asks me to submit an abstract for any conferences that involve preterm labour/premature labour of which by the way is the main focus of my PhD...

last 2 months, I submitted an abstract for a small conference that was held in Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in London, chaired by one of the PI (Principal Investigator) on my floor building in Imperial...since I have problem with my initial proposal and I need to drop the initial proposal due to the negative results and the project can't move forward with negative results, I started a fresh new project early this year (yes, I spend 1 whole year getting negative results!! but as my supervisor always said that "negative results is still a results and is publishable", I'm at eased), I don't have much data to write an abstract for that conference...at the end, I submitted a VERY simple abstract of which when I click the send button, I don't really hope for any miracle of getting either a poster and not to mention an oral presentation...

approximately a month before the conference, while I was washing my membrane for western (science students will understand this and how boring the waiting time is, haha), I saw an email in my inbox with the title of "Oral presentation..." and I can't see the rest of the title until I open the email...out of joy, nervous and the feeling of thinking that is just a mistake, I was screaming in the lab (thank God not so many people was in the lab at that moment) haha...and quickly I informed my bestie on the news and she shared the happiness with me..

not just that, more good news is that my BSc student, who was working on a small part of my project get an oral presentation as well...her session was just before me...by right, I can write 2 oral presentations in my resume right?? hehe...I think my supervisor was the most happiest person of all ^_*



1 week before the conference, I was still updating my results and the presentation slides...me and my supervisor come to a final draft of my presentation slide the night before the conference, pfftt! and she makes more changes during the conference by exchanging the oral presentation session between me and my BSc student so that I can go first and my student can go next to make sure that the flow of the presentation is clear to the audience...

Alhamdulillah, my presentation went well and I think that is my only presentations so far that I am not that nervous, you know when you are nervous you will get butterfly in your stomach, your hands and feets are cold and the best part is, when you use the laser pointer, you can't use it properly as your hand will be shaking ALL the time...BUT as for me, I don't have all that...that is because the power of fasting, so I believe...yes, I was fasting that day (Friday) as the following Monday was Raya Haji and I was already fasting the whole week that week and it will be a waste if I skip it on that day...was a bit nervous to hold the pointer when they give me the pointer at first, but alhamdulillah I can hold it without shaking it at all!!! which makes me easier to point the bar on the graph that I was referring to during my speech...Alhamdulillah ^_^

 
lets begin....

 
lets talk serious business here...

 
pfftt I'm done...the most awaiting session from the floor...bombard this girl with questions!!! haha

thanks to one of my comrade in the group who took this picture for me...thanks k.wahida!!
and I would like to thank my bestie for being there for me when I wanted to rehearse my presentation wherever I want especially in the house using the clothes dryer railing as the podium, hahaha I won't forget that...thanks for all the comments as well...and last but not least, a huge thanks should go to my supervisor for pushing me to send an abstract eventhough I don't believe in myself that my abstract is good enough to be submitted for a conference and thank you for believing in me and be there when I need you...

more oral presentation to come in the future?? lets see...

Bye~ ^_^v


p/s: that outfit will be my conference outfit for poster/oral presentation! quite few people like it. haha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...