Friday 25 July 2014

Recipe: Kari Ayam London (London Chicken Curry)

Assalamualaikum...

since Ramadhan starts on 29th June the other day, I didn't cook at all since I break my fast in Malaysia Hall everyday...but yesterday I receive an invitation from a friend to have potluck for iftar (break fast) today at her house in Griffon Studios at Clapham Junction (my bestie neighbour actually) ^_^'

the menu is Tomato Rice with Ayam Masak Merah (Red Cooked Chicken) but since there is no sauce because Ayam Masak Merah is quite dry, so she asks me to cook curry chicken...and since I mix Pakistan and I think I told her that my mom's chicken curry is the best in the world, so she thinks that I can cook exactly like my mom....oh my!!! its not true...but lets have a try...oh btw this is the 2nd time I cook curry chicken...but this time is more ummmppphhhhh!!!~ delicious..for me la! hehe ^_^v

I cook it yesterday night right after I break my fast at Malaysia Hall...at 11.30pm ok! -_-''
since my labwork schedule is unpredictable and I am worried that I might not have ample time to cook after lab, so I cook it last night...hehe...

lets check out the preparation and the steps:


The ingredients are:

  • oil 
  • chicken- 8-9 pieces
  • 2 potatoes- cut into 4
  • 1 red onion- sliced
  • 5 garlic- sliced
  • 1 stalk of curry leaves
  • 1 tbsp of tamarind paste
  • 2 star anise
  • 2 inch ginger
  • 1 small box of coconut milk
  • 5 full spoons of Baba's Curry Powder
  • Cinnamon (not in the picture, forgot to snap)
  • Water
  • Salt
  • 1 pinch of coarse sugar
for the curry powder actually you can use any brand...but since I am so used to that brand since in Malaysia, so I cant bear to change it...lolz...hehe...wonder how it looks like?


in London, there are few Oriental shops that you can find all these spices...usually I bought these Malaysia spices in Oriental Cost Cutter at Queensway...take Central line and hop off at Queensway station and exit the station...the shop is exactly infront of the station a bit to the left side :D

the steps are,


1) Slice the onions, ginger, garlic and chilli. Cut small the potato. While cutting these, in a wok/ deep pan, put oil enough for these ingredients to fry


2) When the oil is hot enough, put all the above ingredients together with cinnamon, tamarind paste and star anise. Cook until it turn to yellowish colour.


3) Then add curry powder and quickly stir it and then put 1 cup of water. Cook it on a low heat and keep stirring it until the oil surfaces the paste.


4) Then add potato and curry leaves and stir it. And then put chicken and stir it.


5) Cook the chicken until its half cooked and add some water to let it boiled up.


6) Then add coconut milk and cook on a low heat until the potato is soft enough. When the potato is soft enough, add salt, sugar and water. The water is optional as it depends on how thick you want your curry is. Let it cook a while.

Thats it! ^_^

usually I like if my curry is thick and not so watery...since all the ingredients are from London (except the tamarind paste), hence the name given is London Chicken Curry \(^_^)/V

actually this recipe I took it from Azie Kitchen recipe blog which I modify a bit since I am so lazy to buy cardamom and I add chilli to make it extra spicy coz I cant find extra hot babas curry powder at the Oriental Shop...although my curry lacks those spices, the taste is still ummpphhhh~~ hehe...

okay guys, have a try and let me know if it works ya!

Bye~ ^_^v


p/s: hope my curry is not too thick for them...huhu...and hope I can get positive feedback which I will surely repeat this recipe...eheheh...my moms recipe? its a family secret...ngeh...ngeh... :p

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...